By Physiotherapist, Vanessa Boon
Top 3 Gluteus Maximus Exercises
4-POINT KNEELING HIP EXTENSION
This exercise targets your glutes, core (including your lower back), hamstrings and shoulders.
- Start in 4-point kneeling with your hands under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Keep your back neutral and engage your core.
- Lift one leg up behind you, keep your knee at 90 degrees.
- Think about pushing the heel of your elevated foot up towards the ceiling while keeping your hips stable.
- Control the movement as you bring your knee back down towards the floor and repeat.
SINGLE LEG HIP HINGE
This exercise targets your glutes but also trains your lower limb stability as well as balance.
- Start with your hands across your chest or holding a weight, feet hip width apart.
- Bend one leg to 90 degrees and place your foot on the wall behind you.
- Engage your core and glutes as you hinge forward at the waist and push your buttock towards the wall behind you.
- Make sure your front knee is directly above your ankle, and pointing forwards and repeat.
GLUTE BRIDGE PULSES
This exercise targets your glutes but also your core (including your lower back), your hamstrings and quadriceps.
- Start laying down on your back, keeping it neutral.
- Feet should be hip width apart, engage your glutes and core.
- Lift your hips up into the bridge position until you have a straight line from your shoulders to your knees.
- Control the movement as you lower your hips back down without your buttocks touching the ground and repeat.
Check out this video to see how they are all done!